1988 Isuzu Trooper diesel conversion

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Intercooler + scoop


The engine I've purchased came with the top-mount intercooler - a pleasant surprise, as it means (slightly?) more power. The only trouble is that I've now got to find a way to get fresh air to it in order to make it work as designed.

I've got a couple of options: I could either convert to a front-mount intercooler (like the Dodge Neon SRT-4 and Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution have visible through the front bumper) or incorporate a hood scoop like the Trooper in other markets uses. No problem, right? Hood scoops are sold by loads of performance vendors. The trouble is that aftermarket scoops like those available from JC Whitney would either look terrible or require a lot of fabrication in order to work - or both.

I've learned that the factory Isuzu Trooper hood scoop used on the intercooled diesel models is a bolt-on item. I've even found a fellow in Australia who is willing to help me import one, along with the necessary gaskets and hardware. All I need to do is cut a hole in the hood (or so I've been told).

EDIT: Attached is a photo I found (just so there's no confusion) of a Trooper with a factory scoop. Doesn't look too bad, no?
posted by acy76, 10:02 PM

1 Comments:

Hello,
My name Tyler and I was curious if you got your trooper to run as a diesel, and also if you could coach me as to what I need to do to convert my 4cyl Isuzu Trooper to a diesel.
Much Appreciated
Tyler
commented by Blogger TrooperGuy, 7/09/2009 4:45 PM  

Add a comment