1988 Isuzu Trooper diesel conversion

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Oil filter

Finding an oil filter for the 4JB1-T engine was a bit of a hassle. Apparently, older versions of this engine used a filter identical to the one used on the Isuzu C223T, the diesel available in the Trooper in the USA. My engine, however, required a different filter with rather strange specifications. The center hole is 26mm wide, making it difficult to match.

I found a page which listed a few different part numbers (go to the 'workshop' link and select 'part numbers') but none of them crossed over to any North American manufacturers. A 4x4wire member then found this page, which again lists a few different options plus an OEM number. Here is the 4x4wire thread discussing this.

I called my nearest Isuzu industrial dealer and was able to order filters based on this number. Apparently, no other Isuzu filters in the USA will fit, and there are no known aftermarket crossover parts available, so this is the only filter that will work (save for parts ordered from overseas).

As an aside, it is not a dual-stage filter like the one I removed from the engine. This means I will need to change it more often than the dual-stage interval of 7500 miles, but that's fine with me. The only other problem is that they cost $20 each!
posted by acy76, 5:12 PM

3 Comments:

I installed a 4JB1 turbo in a 1996 Isuzu Trooper and went through the same issue on finding an oil filter. I found out that the 3JB1 uses the same filter that a Chevy 350 V8 uses, a Fram PH-5 or a NAPA 1060.
Good luck.
Phil
commented by Blogger Unknown, 5/28/2007 1:39 PM  
I believe there are 2 different models of the 4JB1-T engine, as I have heard this from others as well. I can tell you that the engine I have will not accept a filter with those specifications, as the Fram is listed on
SummitRacing.com
as having a thread size of approximately 20.5mm. The filter I need has a thread opening size of (from memory) 26mm.
commented by Blogger acy76, 6/28/2007 9:57 PM  
If you put a bypass oil filter on your engine, like a Frantz or Mortor Guard, you will not have to change the main filter nearly as often. And the toilet paper elements are a lot cheaper than $20 each. I used to run a Motor Guard on my Dodge Cummins, and it worked great. I changed the main filter about every 20,000 and the TP every 2,000.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 5/18/2008 11:48 PM  

Add a comment