1988 Isuzu Trooper diesel conversion

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Fuel tank installation, pt. 1

The fuel tank I removed from the Trooper had very old gas in it. As a result, semi-solid residue was being drawn into the fuel filter, clogging it. I had tried to clean the tank, but it was obvious that there was a substantial amount of residue in the tank.

My options were to either have the tank professionally cleaned (quoted at $300 and up), keep replacing fuel filters until the problem went away ($25 each) or replace the tank with a clean one ($200). I decided to go with option 3 - that's the cost of 8 clogged filters, something I thought possible based on the condition of the old tank.

The problem: the new tank was not quite the same as the old one. Aftermarket tanks were no longer available from the suppliers I contacted, so I went with an OEM unit. It seems that changes were made at some point, however, as the new tank differed slightly from the old one. The main change was to the fuel filler neck location: the new tank featured a centered neck, while the old tank's neck was located toward the rear and angled back. This difference meant that the old fuel filler hose would not connect to the new tank, leaving me with no way to fill it.

posted by acy76, 9:59 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment